Teaching Assistant Positions
The application for the 2021 Winter session is available now. Please read the job description and fill out the application form below.
Within Sociology, all positions of teaching support service are referred to as Teaching Assistants (TAs) and are appointed as GTA1, GTA2 or Undergraduate classifications.
Undergraduate or Graduate TAs will assist with a variety of course-related activities, including
- setting up and assisting in discussion groups;
- assisting in marking assignments and examinations;
- invigilation of exams, and
- carrying out related work and administrative duties.
- attend and actively participate in information and orientation sessions coordinated by the union and department (included in the total TA hours for the term);
- be available for the duration of their contract, from the first day of classes until the end of the final examination period (marking duties possibly extending past the final exam period);
- be registered as a student during the term in which they serve as a TA.
You must discuss periods of unavailability with the SOCI Undergraduate Office prior to accepting any offers. Students who accept a position but then rescind the offer at the start of the term will not be considered for future TA positions in the department.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Important: Until further notice from the Ministry of Health and UBC’s President all courses are expected to resume on campus this coming September. Please be prepared that these positions will require you be on campus and/or online.
The successful incumbent must physically reside in Canada for the duration of the Teaching Assistant position according to the Canada Revenue Agency, Worksafe and UBC policies.
Application Deadline: July 9th, 2021
Applications for Sociology TA positions are submitted online. Submit only one application, and do not contact the department unless you wish to rescind your application.
In April, a committee will meet to consider applications and identify TAs. Graduate students are prioritized for positions, as are students with higher GPAs and strong recommendations from faculty members. Other aspects of your application, course schedule and availability are also considered.
Successful applicants will be contacted. Selected candidates are advised to accept or decline a position within 72 hours of the offer being made.
Students are restricted to a total of 192 hours for the Winter term and 96 hours for the Summer term of paid employment as TAs during the academic term. Students must notify the office immediately if they accept more than one position with any department at the University.
If you are selected for a position and have never worked for UBC before, you will be required to submit supporting documentation:
- UBC Personal Data form
- Photocopy of your SIN
- Photocopy of your valid student/work permit (international students only)
All students, in addition to required training sessions, must submit in addition:
- BC and Federal TD1 forms for each term
- UBC Bullying and Harassment certification
- TA Duties and Hours form (filled out with your faculty supervisor)
The Undergraduate Office will notify successful applicants which documents they are required to complete and provide the necessary forms. Failure to submit all required documents will prevent your appointment from being completed and you will not be able to receive payment.
All files, documentation, and responses are processed through FIPPA-compliant UBC systems whose security and privacy are guaranteed by the University. Information will only be accessed by the application administrator, Undergraduate Advisor, and Human Resources.
Each appointment will be in accordance with the CUPE 2278 Collective Agreement (CUPE 2278). TA’s are appointed based on their classification (SCHEDULE A – WAGES AND CLASSIFICATIONS of the CUPE 2278 Collective Agreement).