Dr. van Draanen received her PhD in Community Health Sciences from the University of California, Los Angeles in 2017. Her expertise are in the social determinants of co-occurring psychiatric and substance use disorders. Her contributions to the study of co-occurring disorders have the following overarching themes: the inclusion of perspectives of people with lived experience, evaluating programs and policies, and the impact of early adversity. Alongside her research training, Dr. van Draanen has lead evaluations of health and social programs at the community, provincial, national and international level.
Her dissertation research used survival analysis to elucidate the link between different categories of childhood stressors (such as childhood poverty, abuse) and their unique associations with onset of disorders in different gender and racial/ethnic groups.
Currently, she is leading research on the connections between sources of income, material security, and health outcomes for people who use drugs in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside.
Social determinants of health; mental health; substance use; childhood adversity and poverty; income security; research methods; program and policy evaluation
1. Van Draanen, J., Prelip, M., Upchurch, D. Associations between Consumption of Fast Food, Sugar-Sweetened Beverages Artificially-Sweetened Beverages and Allostatic Load among Young Adults. Preventive Medicine Reports. In Press.
2. Curry, S., Van Draanen J., Freisthler, B. Perceptions and Use of a Web-Based Referral System in Child Welfare: Differences by Caseworker Tenure. Journal of Technology in Human Services. In Press.
3. Chiu, N., Zhang, L., Dent, R., Giotis, A., van Draanen, J., Gallo-Hershberg, D., Chiu, L., Chow, R., Pasetka, M., Stinson, J., Stacey, E., Verma, S., Lam, H., Chow, E., DeAngelis C. A Prospective Study of Docetaxel-associated Pain Syndrome. Supportive Care in Cancer. In Press
4. Van Draanen, J., Davidson, P., Bour-Jordan, H., Bowman-Carpio, L., Boyle, D., Dubinett, S., Gardner, B., Gardner, J., McFall, C., Mercola, D., Nakazono, T., Soares, S., Stoppler, H., Tempero, M., Vandenberg, S., Wan , Y.Y., Dry, S. Assessing Researcher Needs for a Virtual Biobank. Bio preservation and Biobanking. In Press.
5. Anderson-Levitt, K., Van Draanen, J., Davis, H. Coherence, Dissonance, and Personal Style in Learning to Teach. Teaching Education 28(4): 377-392, 2017
6. Van Draanen, J. Bringing reflexivity to evaluation: An in-depth case study. American Journal of Evaluation 38 (3)360-375, 2016
7. Chiu, N., Zhang, L., Gallo-Hershberg, D., Dent, R., Chiu, L., Pasetka, M., van Draanen, J., Chow, R., Lam, H., Verma, S., Stinson, J., Stacey, E., Chow, E., DeAngelis C, Loblaw A, Wong R, Wu J, Chow E. Which pain intensity scale from the Brief Pain Inventory correlates most highly with functional interference scores in patients experiencing taxane-induced arthralgia and myalgia?” Supportive Care in Cancer, 2016.
8. Fink, A., Kwan, L., Osterweil, D., Van Draanen, J., Cooke, A., Beck, J.C. Usability and Effectiveness of Web-Based Alcohol Education for Older Adults: A Program Evaluation. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 2015.
9. Van Draanen, J. Critical issues with integrating peer perspectives in mental health service provision. Psychiatric Services (Open Forum), 2014.
10.Van Draanen, J. Shafique, A., Farissi, A., Wickramanayake, D., Kuttaiya, S., Oza, S., Stephens, N. How to Offer Culturally Relevant Type 2 Diabetes Screening: Lessons Learned from the South Asian Diabetes Prevention Program. Canadian Journal of Diabetes, 2013
11.Van Draanen, J. Jeyaratnam, J., O’Campo, P, Hwang, S., Koo, M., Harriott, D., Stergiopoulos, V. Meaningful Inclusion of Consumers in Research and Service Delivery. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal. DOI: 10.1037/prj0000014, 2013
12.Van Draanen, J., Courneau, S., Henderson, T., Griller, R., Quastel, A., Stergiopoulos, V. Reducing Service and Substance Use among Frequent Service Users: A Brief Report of from the Toronto Community Addictions Team. Substance Use and Misuse, 48:532–53, 2012
13.Salvo N, Barnes T, Van Draanen J, Stacey E, Mitera G, Breen D, Giotis A, Czarnota G, Pang J, Chow E, De Angelis C. The Prophylaxis and Management of Acute Radiation- Induced Skin Reactions: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Current Oncology, 17:4, 2011
Non-Peer Reviewed, Published:
1. Benns, R. and van Draanen, J. Growing the Movement, the Canadian Context. In Downes, A. & Lansley, S. It’s Basic Income – the Global Debate. Policy Press. Bristol, U.K.
2. Van Draanen, J., and Duncan, A. 2012. The Canadian Social Transfer and the Social Determinants of Health. Canadian Social Work, Volume 15 (1), Autumn 2013, pp 77-156
3. Van Draanen, J., and Duncan, A. 2012. Canada Social Transfer Project: Accountability Matters. Canadian Social Work, Volume 14 (1), Autumn 2012, pp 77-156
Affiliated Faculty and Postdocs